The primary purpose of the Senior Applications Analyst is to provide expert functional and technical support for all software, web and database applications which may entail some computer programming, some system administration skills, and the ability to analyze a given problem, diagnose it, find its root cause, and determines solutions. The work includes building and maintaining working relationships with other IT groups and resources to deliver seamless support to all departments and users. The Senior Applications Analyst works closely with departments to understand business needs, requirements and IT problems; provides hands on investigation and analysis; develops and executes comprehensive software test plans to facilitate issue resolution, documents test results, analyze business and user needs in consultation with both managers and end-users.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Designs, develops and executes comprehensive software test plans to identify and facilitate issue resolution, to analyze complex business problems and assess how automated systems can be implemented to solve them; to gather data and analyze business and user needs; and to provide information technology support for regulatory and compliance activities;
- Supports all software, web and database applications used by the Authority including the Visual Homes system, Kronos Payroll and other Enterprise level applications; assists with the installation and upgrades for these systems and provides ongoing support in their effective use;
- Performs controlled resolution of incidents and problems including prioritization and escalation to relevant IT Specialists when appropriate; root cause analysis of all problems with follow-through resolution;
- Contributes to the development of application requirements, designs and solutions using various programming languages and/or tools, tests, and quality assurance;
- Serves as technical and functioning liaison for content management systems solutions through programming, configurations, support and administering;
- Designs, writes, tests, debugs, and maintains software applications to meet technical and functional requirements;
- Analyzes system capacity and modifies procedures to solve interface problems; provides technical expertise and assistance in designing, testing and developing applications;
- Troubleshoots software and web-based applications which utilize various Authority databases; identifies and resolves problems with application software and databases;
- Tests and installs new application systems and vendor-provided upgrades;
- Participates in vendor communications, installations, testing, documentation, and the diagnosis and resolution of problems;
- Monitors applications for compliance to IT standards and policies;
- Provides set up and configuration of applications; executes the modification and/or configuration of software applications to resolve issues and plans for future growth;
- Translates user needs into alternative technical solutions; performs project reviews and process walkthroughs incorporating technical and business solutions that will enhance users productivity and departments' service levels;
- Designs, develops and maintains reports using application reporting tools;
- Works with software vendors to understand, configure, enhance and support software products;
- Assists in providing support to an Oracle instance that supports third party applications;
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies and procedures related to application and software use, support, security and data storage;
- Serves as Tier II support for complex user application issues; assists User Support Technicians with training users on application usage when necessary;
- Responds to the needs of application users to improve business processes and streamline operations;
- Performs as a team member with other technical staff, such as programmers, web developers, networking to ensure connectivity and compatibility between systems;
- Collects information to analyze and evaluate existing or proposed applications;
- Performs other related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- In-depth knowledge of the policies, procedures, goals, objectives, operational entities, requirements and activities as they apply to the assigned area of responsibility in the company
- Project management and contingency planning skills
- Advanced knowledge of software development life cycle, including programming, user acceptance testing and implementation
- Demonstrated working knowledge of application support, development tools and methodologies; technical knowledge in the support of software applications and various system environments
- Ability to develop, prioritize and execute projects according to established schedules and timelines
- Thorough understanding of database development and maintenance procedures, current programming languages and web-based application development
- Planning and organizational skills
- Experience with quality assurance and performance metrics
- Business analytics skills, enhanced working knowledge of BI Tools a plus
- Excellent customer service and written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor of Science degree (B. S.) from an accredited college or university in computer science or related field, and a concentration in software applications; and at least five years' related experience. Experience in application administration (able to administer and support on a WAN); Net experience (Web developing); Programming experience; working knowledge of accounting/financial applications, preferably in an ERP environment; SQL Server and data management experience required; or other equivalent combination of education and experience which meet the minimum qualifications requirement may be substituted.
Must be a Microsoft Certified Applications' Developer or Microsoft Certified Database Administrator or possess other equivalent IT certifications.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have technical knowledge of:
- Microsoft SQL Server and familiarity with Oracle including data warehouse design and development.
- Workflow analysis and Business Process Reengineering.
- MS Access database and native SQL query language syntax.
- Crystal Reports development and operations including Web-based versions.
- HTML and/or XML programming and principles of operation.
- MS Office applications and ODBC characteristics.
(Knowledge of Visual Homes and ADP software is preferred.)
And the ability to:
- Troubleshoot and isolate software and data-related errors
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is frequently required to sit, however the incumbent is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands, reach, talk and listen. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work is performed in the normal office setting. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Associated topics: application, back end, c c++, java, matlab, perl, php, software developer, software engineer, software programmer